Saturday, April 22, 2006

Orthodox Service at Midnight

A group of people were talking about going over to the Orthodox Church to night for the service. At first we thought it would be fun to go and see them parade the cross around the building to different stations. Then after thinking about it we have to get up and attend service at our own church tomorrow. So being out all night does not go well with our plans! I am sure we will catch it on the news.


Nathan has a friend who is getting married in two weeks. They don't have much money. So she asked me to take the pictures at her wedding. I had told myself that I was not going to do another wedding because it is hard work and I don't think I am that good. But, when she asked me I just felt it was important to do my best for them.


This wedding is the same weekend as John P's visit from Andover. Tom and John will be at Axtepka all day. So the boys and I will be the ones going to the wedding. We will also help the couple out with decorating the church the day before. If John and Tom get back in time perhaps they can be part of the reception. It will most likely go on until 9 or 10 that night.

It is not very popular to get married in May here. There is a superstition about the month. The root of the word May in Russian is the same root of the word for misery. So the belief is that if you get married in May it will lead to misery. Some believers adhere to this superstition out of respect to their families, while others get married during the month just to prove the superstition wrong. This young couple has chosen to defy the superstition and get married on May 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment