Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What gender is your watermelon?

Arina ( our teacher for August) was telling Judi and I that here in Russia watermelon was considered a berry because it has many seeds inside.

Judi told us about a woman who taught her how to pick out a sweet watermelon. She said that watermelons are either boys or girls.

Girls are sweet and boys are not. The sweet ones usually have a spot on the opposite side of where the vine was attached that is bigger than one that is not sweet. I personally haven't looked at a watermelon's bottom to see what gender it is!

However, Arina says this does not always work because she purchased a girl watermelon and it was not a sweet girl!

4 comments:

  1. Did you find out if any other fruits have gender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will ask Arina but you can always ask Tatiana when you are in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, bell peppers do. One has three "nubs" on the bottom, the other has four. If you use it as a cup for holding condiments in, you know, green bell pepper - relish, red bell pepper - ketchup, yellow bell pepper - mustard, then you want the ones that have four nubs on the bottom so they stand up better. I think it is the boys that have four.

    Have been following your blog for a while. I have found it very interesting. How things are totally different there than here. We live in Lancaster. My best adventure was six weeks in Zywiec, Poland with a Teen Missions work project back in 1985. The people there are wonderful! And I would love to go back. I am kind of re-living some of that through your blog. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jessnbekahsmom,
    Thanks for telling us about the bell peppers. I will have to pass that on! I really appreciate you reading my blog. And it was great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete