Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving prep

Spencer and I went shopping today for all the goodies we need to make our family Thanksgiving dinner. We decided to stay home rather than go to a party that we were invited to. We have a Thanksgiving party to attend on Friday and I knew my guys would not want to be out two days in a row. Well, Spencer is always ready for a gathering... that is a different story!

I spent time with Brenna again helping her to knit. She is doing very well. I don't think I could have learned at 8 years old. I was 10 when I started.

Tom is still battling his cold. He stayed home from school and worked on the banquet invitations. They look wonderful. He is making some heart shaped beads to embellish them. When he finishes I will post a photo.

We watched the Muppet Christmas Carol tonight. Nathan and Spencer are already in bed. They both wake up so early.

I am grateful to Melissa for a pumpkin cookie recipe. Spencer and I tasted the cookies at her house today and they were yummy! I know that Tom and Nathan will enjoy them too.


Here is the recipe she uses from www.verybestbaking.com

Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies
Estimated Times:
Preparation - 10 min Cooking - 18 min Cooling Time - 2 min cooling
Yields - 36 cookies


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Glaze (recipe follows)

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease baking sheets.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, baking power, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.

BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle Glaze over cookies.

FOR GLAZE:
COMBINE 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl until smooth.

1 comment: