Tuesday July 3, 2007
Early Tuesday morning... around 2:30 am, we loaded up the car and took Tom into the ER at UNM Hospital. From about 3am until 8:30 he had an intake session around 4am and a blood draw around 5:30am. But he didn't see a doctor until about 8:30. After that they did some testing. Another ultrasound and a CAT scan. He has sludge in the gallbladder and some small stones. He has stones in both kidneys as well. We left there shortly after noon!
We were told that pain is not an indicator of an emergency. So he can stay in pain and that is not a reason to have surgery anytime soon. Yes, he was given some medication to help alleviate the pain. But surgery is still what he needs.
We came back to the hotel and slept. I had been awake for over 24 hours and Tom had slept intermittently for about an hour.
Needless to say we are both frustrated. He has an appointment with a surgeon on August 7th. Who knows how soon surgery will be after that. We are becoming disillusioned with the medical system in the US... but what can we do? If he had the surgery in Moscow he would have to pay out of pocket for the procedure.
Please pray for us as we wait and weigh our options.