Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Highspeed internet!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

We know that highspeed internet is not a new invention. But, since it is new to us here in Krasnodar we are excited. Now that there is more than one company and choice of plans it is cheaper than it used to be. We did not need a separate phone installed, like they told us two years ago, we have a cute little modem that is sitting on our computer desk!

So now we can surf the internet faster, watch videos online and all that jazz!

Today Spencer met with his new language helper, Vlad. Vlad is 15 and speaks a little bit of English. His Russian grammer is very good and he speaks very clearly and is easy to understand. He and Spencer will meet once a week to go over culture questions and any other questions Spencer has from the lesson. This whole time Spencer has worked with an adult language helper and has not had the opputunity to hear things about Russia from the perspective of a teenager!

Tom called late last night and we got to talk for about an hour. It was wonderful to be on the phone with him. It was hard for me when he was in the hospital to not know exactly what was happening from his perspective. I appreciated hearing from friends and family, I completely value that help, but, there is nothing like direct communication!

Thanks so much for all who have been praying for Tom and checking in here. I can tell from the Statcounter that hundreds of you have checked in over the past week from all over the United States and we are very grateful for the prayers and support!

6 comments:

  1. SO HAPPY for the high speed internet! that is great!

    Continuing to pray for Tom...hope his recovery starts to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you guys are using UTK, check to see how much downloadable bandwidth your plan allows. When I first got online using the UTK compatible DSL modem and turned-on Skype I quickly eat through my alloted bandwidth. 1,000 rubles worth with a 20 minute Skype audio only call.

    Apparently, you can an unlimited plan but the speed is greatly reduced. It's a trade-off between speed and bandwidth.

    At least that has been my experience in Yubilaney (Krasnodar). If I am missing something and there is an unlimited monthly plan with higher speeds, please let me know. You can reach me through my blog at www.timothypost.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not read your posts for a while, so didn't know about Tom. Sorry I missd all that but I am glad he is doing better! I will keep praying for your family.
    Miriam (Josh's Grandma)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip hip hoooooray for high speed.

    As always, Tom is in my prayers for a speedy recovery - I'm glad you were able to talk to him directly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timothy,
    We don't use Skype so we should be ok... so far we are just happy to have it going faster than when we were on dial up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to hear from you. I haven't been as diligent about my blog and internet connections this summer. We've had a lot going on and the computer use was the first thing to go.

    It sounds like Tom has had quite the summer. I'm glad to hear he is recovering now.

    You sound so happy to be back in Russia!!! Yeah!

    Have a great weekend,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete