Sunday, September 16, 2007

lunch with friends!

Sunday, September 16, 2007

We had our friends Lena and Alexei over for lunch today after church. I am so glad that we did. I didn’t realize how long it had been since the four of us had been together.

For lunch we had a shrimp salad that I made last night.

1 package frozen shrimp
1 package frozen broccoli
¼ cup pine nuts
1 T. butter
6 cups of macaroni, cooked
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 ½ T. fresh dill, diced
Mayonnaise according to your taste

After cooking the macaroni I combined the pine nuts, shrimp, dill, cream cheese and butter in a pan and cooked it until all the butter and cream cheese melted. I poured that mixture over the macaroni and then added the frozen broccoli. I mixed it all together and put it in a bowl in the fridge. You can add the mayonnaise just before serving. I put it to the side so each person could add as much or little as they wanted. I served it with some fresh veggies that I sliced after church.

Alexei was so happy at how “healthy” our lunch was. I was happy that it all tasted good and that they ate quite a bit.

They asked how our studies were going at school. I mentioned that on Wednesday we learned the word “КОТОРЫЙ” (kahtory). This means ‘which” or “who”. I told them that I had typed out all of the ways that word changes (declines) and it added up to 36. Lena didn’t think that was possible. So I showed it to her. Words change based on gender and number. In Russian a word is masculine, feminine, neuter or plural. Each noun and adjective can also decline that many times…. Can you imagine how hard this language is to learn?! Especially for those of us who don’t enjoy studying grammar!?

After that Alexei kept working in the word ‘katory” into the conversation. He would say things like “Lena drank tea which she tried for the first time” or “there was this man who I met the other day...”

If you had the chance to meet Alexei you would know that he has quite the sense of humor and he can keep up with Tom pretty well!

4 comments:

  1. sounds like fun! delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. Too bad I'm allergic to shrimp. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine trying to learn a new language! I attempted French in high school and that never went too well for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexei sounds like he'd be a guy katory it would be fun to be around. ;-)

    ReplyDelete