Wednesday, September 19, 2007

tale of the butter dish

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

For the past two years our housekeeper Olya, has been sticking the butter dish in the fridge when she comes over.

We would try to hide it from her and we tried to explain that we liked the butter to be soft and not hard.

Finally, last week I wrote a note in Russian and placed it on top of the butter dish. It was a simple note all it said was; "Please, do not place in the refrigerator, Thank You".

Olya had been in the kitchen for awhile working and she told me that she had placed her hand on the dish to put it away, and realized there was a note and brought it to the living room to show me. She asked if the note was for her. I said yes! She asked why we like to leave it out and I explained once again that we like the butter to be soft for toast. Olya said that she kept putting it in the fridge because she thought we were just so busy we were "forgetting" to put it away!

We were able to laugh about it and now the butter dish can sit peacefully on the counter until we are ready to use it.

Her sister in law Lena, saw the note when she and Alexei were here for lunch on Sunday and:

#1 told me that I did a good job writing it... it was grammatically correct
#2 that it is an old Russian mentality to always keep butter in the fridge.

She said that butter used to not last for more than three days outside of the fridge so they were always careful to only keep it out when needed.

so there you have it... the tale of the butter dish!

4 comments:

  1. Now I know why I always keep the butter in the fridge (even though my husband would prefer it to be left out). My ancestors are Germans from Russia. They hail from Krasna Besarabia (or something like that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that you have a Russian heritage. I am not sure where that area is... many of the cities and regions changed their names after the fall of communism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! My neighbors growing up kept their butter in the cabinet. I never ate it because I was afraid it was spoiled. My mom was paranoid about spoiled food....or rancid as she called it. so we always had margarine. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for communication skills!

    ReplyDelete