Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My favorite question

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Are you Tom’s wife?

When we lived in California I was asked this question frequently…at the end of an Al-Anon meeting or in the supermarket. At first this used to make me angry. After all I am my own person.

I went to an Al-Anon meeting tonight. This group was started a year ago and it meets in a church on the other side of town. I called on Saturday to find out all the vitals, you know what I mean; where, when and what time. I asked my language helper to come with me, she speaks English so I thought if I had any problems understanding what was being said I could ask her. She called to get directions and find out what type of transport would get us over there.

We went into the meeting and immediately we were asked if we were the ones who had called. Then she asked us how we knew about Al-Anon. I told her I knew about the group from America. I have been involved for 7 years now. She was very excited. She asked me where I lived and I answered in the Slavinsky region.

Here is what happened next:

“Do you know Tom Sharp?”
“Yes, that’s my husband!”
“Oh my God, I have been looking for him!”
“You met him two years ago right?”
“Yes! Right after I attended a conference. I was looking for someone who would know how to start an Al-Anon group and I found an AA meeting. I was given his number but I didn’t call right away and then I was told he went back to America”

Can you imagine the joy on her face? She said this several times tonight:
“Look at how God works! In walks Tom’s wife!”

After Sasha and I left she asked me “how do you feel when people ask you about Tom?”

I think it is funny that we are in Russia, a long way from California, and I am still being asked this type of question!

3 comments:

  1. We lived in my hubby's home town for 10 years. It got to the point where he would forget to introduce me to people because he assumed I knew everyone he did. I was always Bob's wife or so and so's Mom. Now that we moved it isn't so bad... I've been able to introduce Bob as My husband. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! so cool! He is famous. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The man of God shall she honored at the gate. your under a pretty good covering :) How wonderful it is that we don't have to feel ashamed when we are asked that.
    Thank for your encouraging support.

    ReplyDelete