Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Nah-kah-nets! Finally!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Our toilet is fixed… after having a few friends come over to try and fix it, our friend Olya found a good plumber in the newspaper! Our problem was that after flushing the toilet the water kept running, sometimes for hours. We had to turn the water off to the toilet between flushes so as not to run up a huge water bill!

Olya called several numbers but Oleg was the only one who was available to come this week. At first her concern was that he would be too expensive. But, when she told me that his labor would be 500 rubles (about 20 dollars) and we that we had to pay for the part that needed to be replaced, I let her know right away that we could afford that. The part needed ended up costing 350 rubles (about 14 dollars) so for 34$ we have a toilet that works!

I left for school while Oleg was still working. When he was packing up to leave Tom asked him in Russian if he was finished… Tom just used the Russian word for done with the intonation of asking a question, the plumber answered using one English word “finished”!

I just got off the phone with Olya, I was letting her know that everything had gone well and that Tom wanted to keep Oleg’s phone number for future reference, she was thrilled. It is not often that you can find someone who does quality work from thumbing through the paper. It is better if you know someone who knows someone. You know?

So if you are ever in Krasnodar and need a good plumber just call me and I will pass on Oleg’s cell phone number!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to remember to call Oleg if I need a good plumber! Glad the toilet finally works and you found someone reasonable and good. Sounds like God's hand was in on this!

    ReplyDelete