Saturday, October 13, 2007

plates, Russian or American size?

Saturday, October 13, 2007














Tania set the table using what we Americans call a salad plate. Of course we were all able to refill our plates over and over again so we didn't go hungry. I still struggle with remembering not to use my dinner plates when we have Russian guests!

*** For you foodies: The tall greens in the background behind the water bottle are green onions, that cup was filled with fresh herbs to add to your own food.

7 comments:

  1. What an interesting tradition. I know people who use Salad plates in place of dinner plates as a way to diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the table was well set too! It still amazes me that those in humble circumstances can still be gracious hostesses! She put on a beautiful and healthy spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The table does look beautiful, and the food looks good!
    Miriammikes@gcnet.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of curiosity, why do Russians use salad size plates?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question!
    I don't know if it is something that all Russians do. I know that most of our Russian friends and the people we had dinner with when we were in Ukraine own the smaller plates... maybe it is because they don't cost a smuch as the larger ones, or because many tables are the fold up kind and are smaller than a typical American table, I can ask at school and see if there is a more specific reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the simplicity of the Russian table. I remember the tiny refrigerators and how our host had to go to find food in long lines every day. Nothing was waisted and they were so generous with what little they had. Our hostess was so kind. They have a meal that was so varied,with only a bite or two for each guest. We in the US are like gluttons to most Russian families. We have huge appetites. They fill on water often and that had to be boiled.

    ReplyDelete