Thursday, March 20, 2008

Are you a reader?

Our current lesson is on Russian literature... I have to confess I didn't think much about studying Russian literature until we were in the process of moving here.

I read a few short stories by Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoy and Zoshchenko. I did read Master and Margarita by Bulgakov, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and am in the process of reading the Brothers Karamozov by Dostoevsky.

There is a rich treasure of books, poems, short stories and plays to choose from among the Russian authors... and I am grateful that we are being challenged to read them!

A challenge I am not quite thrilled with is memorizing... we were assigned poems to memorize by Monday! It wouldn't be so bad if we had not been told that every Russian school child can memorize poems this long! Did your school do this? I don't remember doing this in school. I do remember doing this in church! Did your church do Easter or Christmas programs and have all the kids take turns saying their "pieces"?

I remember one year my grandmother made me and my Aunt Lisa learn long poems... but it seemed like the boys got by with short ones. I remember one little boy proudly stepping up to the mic and shouting "HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!!!" he bowed and then sat back down.

Oh well... I need to go and start working on my "piece" for Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive - so you memorize things in RUSSIAN? I'm guessing so. Good 4 you! E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that it is more difficult to memorize things as an adult than it was as a kid. My kids can rattle off Bible versus and I really struggle with it.

    ReplyDelete