Tuesday, April 22, 2008

food, friends and fun!

My friend and language helper, Sasha, Spencer’s best friend and language helper, Vlad, and Tom’s friend and translator, Dima, were here at the same time and they all agreed to have dinner with us!

Dima is one of the teachers at our langauge school and he is Vlad's uncle. He introduced Spencer and Vlad to each other last year. We have known Sasha for the past three years and she just started helping me with language last fall. Vlad, Sasha and Dima all speak English so it was easy for them to understand what we were saying no matter which language we chose to speak in!

The table conversation was a mixture of Russian and English with a bit of Spanish thrown in here and there. The meal was a Mexican casserole with Russian ice cream for dessert. When Tom offered seconds to Dima he reminded him that we are Americans and we will only ask once if you want more. Typically, Russians will ask three times. After that warning all the guys had seconds when Tom asked them!

I enjoyed having Sasha in the kitchen with me. After our language session she helped me with preparing dinner. We were able to get in some girl time and catch up on what she has been up to these past few weeks. Spencer and Vlad were sent to the store to get drinks and dessert and then set the table after getting their homework done. After dinner Dima worked on getting Tom’s PowerPoint presentation translated for Saturday and then we fed him dessert!

We had such a great evening…. I have to admit that earlier in the day I was experiencing a flare up of my fibromyalgia and I was not feeling up to having people over. I almost cancelled the whole evening. I took some time this afternoon before Sasha arrived to lay down and rest…. My muscles are still sore but having guests can truly energize the spirit!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness! What a multi-cultural event! Three languages all in the same night!

    You are so right. Often I desire to stay home from something but am so happy to have gone. Having a guest or being a guest can really energize the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're having so much fun, and mixing in several languages and cultures into your experience. You must be making a lot of progress in your Russian at this point -- as it really seems as though you have integrated into the Russian culture and lifestyle.

    I look forward to reading more about your adventure perfecting Russian and living a Russian life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time! Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete