Thursday, April 17, 2008

whew!

After school today I felt so relieved that I survived another week of class that I celebrated by purchasing a new blouse... perhaps I was motivated by the theme of our new lesson that we received just before class ended; clothing! Or maybe I just wanted to reward myself and I am trying NOT to use food as a reward!

We spent the bulk of this week learning to express our opinions through agreement, disagreement, doubt, and so on. It was a challenging week but a great one. It felt good to learn how to express myself on a deeper level.

Some days in class I get frustrated with making grammar mistakes. Learning Russian grammar has not come easily for me. I blame my age. I daydream about being ten years younger and tell myself that I would be doing so much better if I had started sooner!

I remember talking with someone a few years ago about my frustrations with the difficulty I face memorizing all the grammar rules and getting used to the 6 cases that Russian has. She told me that she did great with grammar but it took her a long time to build her vocabulary. I truly love words... most nights before going to sleep I read from my Russian dictionary. Learning new words is not a struggle for me.

I work everyday on memorizing the grammar rules, declining words properly, and reviewing which cases go with which verbs. I keep praying that someday my over 40 brain will pull it all together. At least I can look back on this journey with thanksgiving for how far I have come!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm new to your blog, and couldn't help but respond to this post about the struggles and rewards of language-learning. While I have not learned Russian, I work my hardest to memorize grammar rules and learn new words in Portuguese and Spanish. It is a very long process, but you will get the hang of it and you'll begin to see the fruits of your labor very soon.

    It is very frustrating when you feel "stuck" in an intermediate stage of a language, and of course I wish I had the opportunity to start learning another language when I was 5 years old...but by learning through a lot of hard work, practice, and full immersion in the language - you will undoubtedly get that much closer to native fluency. I wish you luck in speaking like a native Russian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIX cases! And people think English is complicated...

    I really admire you for learning a second language. It's always on my to do list but the difficulties stop me in my tracks.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you are saying. My kids pick up their Latin and Spanish lessons a lot faster than I do!

    I'll pray that God grants you the gift of a Russian Tongue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your "stickwithitness"! Russian is HARD>

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're over 40?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I turn 45 in May!!

    ReplyDelete