Thursday, August 07, 2008

dinner with friends from Uzbekistan!

Lily set a beautiful table!
















Ruslan preparing the plov!






















Lily getting the meat and garlic ready to add in...
the garlic was cooked whole with the skin on and
she is showing me how it is removed.

















We had a great time with Lily, Ruslan, Artur and Bagdan! They are preparing to move back to Uzbekistan and wanted to have us over before their departure. They will be doing work with people in Recovery.

Lily had asked me about getting her a toe ring when I was in America... she thought that maybe I had forgotten. But I didn't! She was so thrilled to receive it. She let out a loud scream when she open the box. I think most of my friends in California wear one so I don't always think about how unique it is. She put it on and wore it for the rest of the night!

We gave the boys the Dr Seuss book and they loved it... Lily tells me that they have read it many times over the past two days. I knew it would be a hit. When Nathan and Spencer were younger they loved Dr Seuss too!

Ruslan cooked all day to make us authentic Uzbekistan plov (pilaf). He says that there are 18 different varieties of plov! We were very happy to be sent home with the leftovers... Ruslan made plov for the church's Easter dinner and Tom has been a fan ever since!

We have enjoyed working with them and watching them grow and we will miss them a lot when they leave! They both have incredible hearts, are very gracious,are generous in sharing all that they have and all that they have experienced with those around them.

PS... I did not show Lily and Ruslan's faces on purpose. They are going to be working in a dangerous area and they told us that Christians are currently being persecuted there. One of his friends was arrested just for having Christian literature.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I LOVE plov!

    Looks like it was a beautiful evening!

    ReplyDelete