Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thought for Today

“A godly woman engages in the battle of life with as much courage and valor as her husband. But her focus is less on defending against external enemies and more on teaching her family about the high calling of relationship.”

Dan Allender and Tremper Longman, from their book Intimate Allies



It definitely felt like a battle getting the children to show love and respect to one another when they were young. I am grateful for the relationship that Tom and I have. I am grateful for the relationships that Tom and I have with Nathan and Spencer. Furthermore, Tom and I are grateful that our sons have expressed to us their thanks for the unconditional love that we have worked hard to give them!

Whenever I read the word battle my association is not a 'physical' battle but emotional and spiritual ones. Over the past 26 ½ years of our marriage we have battled with various trials of life… such as the stillbirths of Patricia and Cameron, financial setbacks, the challenge of Tom attending seminary with a young family, our transition to life here in Russia and the ups and downs of day to day living (to name just a few!). I was never a good fighter physically... but then I didn't need to be. I grew up with four brothers and I always felt sorry for those who chose to pick on me, I always had a brother nearby who wouldn't have it!

The only way I am gifted to face each of the relational and situational challenges our family of four is presented with is to stay on my knees in prayer.

I give thanks to God for helping Tom and I to continually grow as a couple, as parents of adult children and as spiritual warriors!



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I think I might need to tuck that thought away for a rainy day. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete