Thursday, February 05, 2009

Big Mama's Tea Cakes

Maybe some of you remember these from childhood? I certainly do! My grandmother used to make them. We cannot find her exact recipe so I have been scouring the internet looking at various recipes and experimenting to see which one comes close to the way she made them. I have found some that were drop cookies, some that had icing on them and some that used nutmeg and cinnamon.

My grandmother's were a cross between a biscuit and a sugar cookie. Her teacakes were a tasty treat for body and soul. They are also super easy to make!

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

First cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs, flour, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Roll out on a floured board. Cut with cookie cutter, or like my grandma, use a glass. Place on greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and bake at 400 about 10-12 minutes. The teacakes will be golden brown on the bottom but soft inside!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to have this! Looks great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete