Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Pirogi with fish!

I had dinner tonight with Avgusta. She is the mother of my friend and teammate Zhenya. Avgusta recently moved here from Siberia... so this winter is warm for her. She is used to -35 or lower!

Pirogi is like a pie with a bottom and top crust and some type filling. Avgusta made pirogi with a fish filling. Tom and Nathan are the fish lovers in our family. Not me. But, I am willing to try most anything.

The fish she used was sturgeon... it was a boneless fish, that didn't smell or taste fishy. She called it 'sea tongue". I came home and looked that phrase up and was relieved to find out that it was a reference to fish with no bones!

We began our time together eating dinner and watching a dating show on tv called "Let's Get Married". When the show ended we drank tea and chatted for a while to get to know each other better. I was shocked to find out that she is almost 70!! Her oldest grandchild is a year younger than my youngest son. However, we had no problems finding things to chat about! She really looks great, was fascinating to chat with and is extremely active. She even treated me to a reading of poetry she had written. I truly had a great time with her.

Tomorrow she is going to call me because we have a date to go the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment