Thursday, September 22, 2011

Belize turns 30...and is in mourning

On Monday the founding father of Belize, The Honorable George C. Price, passed away...funeral services are on Saturday.  Condolences have been pouring in all week.  One was even sent by former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.  I am just starting to learn who this honorable man was.  Two words that keep coming up to describe him are service and humility.


Yesterday Belize celebrated the 30th anniversary of her independence and the first without her founding father...he will be greatly missed.  We have heard that Monday will be a public holiday in honor of the late George Price.

7 comments:

  1. oh wow...that's pretty sad but what an amazing legacy he leaves behind! Happy independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your insights and observations about Belize, even if the story is sad. I've learned a lot from you about a country I visited briefly decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies.

    Galen- We are still learning so much about this country and her people. It has a rich heritage and as a young democracy it has a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how said but I'm certain it'll be remembered xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that! Thanks for sharing. My SIL is from Belize as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw thats sad. He does leave behind a great legacy. Its so cool your learning about this, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry that I don't know the man or the country. I am Australian, so today I learnt something.
    What a wonderful man and what a heritage he has left behind.

    ReplyDelete