Thursday, January 05, 2012

Getting Crafty in Belize

Discovering Pinterest has led to a desire to do a few craft projects that I might not have attempted otherwise.  A fun one that I was inspired to take on is making a Plastic Tote bag from grocery bags.


First you have to make "plarn".  And you can find  instructions illustrated here or in done in photos here.  The number of plastic bags needed depends on the size of the tote you want to make.  I cannot remember how many grocery bags I used.  Tom remembers we had to go shopping a few times before I could finish.  Getting the white bags here was hard.  Most of the ones in our local shops here in Belmopan are various shades of black with blue lettering on them.  The white bags came from our trip to Spanish Lookout and from Tom's trip to the hardware store.

I didn't use a pattern I just made a chain for how wide I wanted my tote to be and then began crocheting in rounds until I had the length I wanted and finished with the handles.  You can find a pattern here if you need one.

I love my little tote bag and if we ever collect enough bags in a different color I will make another one!

Go over and check them out if you are interested.

Has Pinterest inspired you?!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It turned out cute. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! Now if only we did not recycle our plastic blags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun. I love getting crafty sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely ADORE this.. SOOO cute & Very creative.. THANKS SO MUCH for linking via Pin'Inspirational Thursday today.. This ROCKS and its one of my fav's of the day.. Thanks again.. Wishing you an amazing evening.. xoxo.. Marilyn...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute. It took me a while to get into Pinterest but now I am hooked- knitting and weaving and cooking ideas. And it's not blocked in China!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Tote Alida. YOu are so smart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive Alida! The blog's looking good and your creativity is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone...it was a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, incredible!

    would you believe me if i told you that i have never even gotten on Pinterest? i think i know that i would get addicting and i am already addicted to blogging, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DO I need to bring you some white plastic bags when I come to Kansas this summer? LOL

    ReplyDelete