Friday, January 27, 2012

Lolita's broken life...


 Excerpt from Lolita,
 by Vladimir Nabokov                         
"I'll die if you touch me," I said.  "You are sure you are not coming with me?  Is there no hope of your coming?  Tell me only this."
"No," she said.  "No, honey, no.
She had never called me honey before.
"No," she said, "it is quite out of the question.  I would sooner go back to Cue.  I mean-" She groped for words.  I supplied them mentally ("He broke my heart. You merely broke my life").
                                                                     
It took me years to face this book.  Other books by Nabokov are not so difficult to read.  I knew that it was about a middle aged man and his relationship with a 12 year old girl.  I didn't think I had the strength to make it through a book like this.  I read it while we still lived in Russia.  It was a difficult read.  It broke my heart.  It moved me to tears and it made me angry.

Vladimir Nabokov is quoted as saying:

Some people, and I am one of them, hate happy ends.  We feel cheated.  Harm is the norm.

I disagree.  Harm should never be the norm.  

But, sometimes it is. Each week there are children and teens whose lives, hearts and spirits have been broken. Some of them are brought to their knees by their life circumstances. Others were abused or mistreated by someone who was supposed to care for them.  These dear ones often struggle to conceive of a power great enough to mend their lives, heal their hearts, replenish their spirits and redeem all of the suffering they have faced.

I still believe though...that healing can begin with a whispered prayer calling forth the Light of Healing.
Join with us in prayer for those who are still victims.
Please remember the Lolitas of the world.  

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing this terribly tragedy to light. I will be praying for the victims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for praying with us! We see victims each week in our office.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for continuing to speak out on this. My hope is that more awareness and compassion will help to not only heal the victims but help our world to see abuse in any form is not acceptable,to be tolerated, nor socially acceptable. Sending prayers your way for your strength in continuing this work and for those whose lives have been affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praying with us, Chandra! I agree with you that abuse in any form is completely unacceptable.

      Delete
  3. Oh Lord, this brought a tear to my eye. I am passionate about children and have always loved working with them but i had to take a step back when i tried to apply for a job with Child Protective Services and they told me what to expect. It is unbelieveable the amount of hurt and abuse some kids go through and it makes you doubt the sanity of the adults who hurt them. I pray God eases their hurt and helps them find comfort in Him, I pray God shows them that true, unadulterated love can be found in the human race, that they are worthy of it and that He gives it to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, lovely post about a story that bothers me, too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like happy endings, I feel cheated when they are sad. Just because everyone has problems in life doesn't mean we need focus on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing such a touching story. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete