Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tasty Tuesday- Cream of Something...

There are many times when we cannot find exactly what we want here in the markets.  Times when we can find it...but it is outrageously expensive because it is imported.  And times when it was available a month ago but not now.  Those are the times when I turn to my cookbooks or get online to find a substitute.  As I was looking through recipes that I have saved on Pinterest I found one that will come in handy for sure.

Cream of "Something" Soup Mix
photo from One Orange Giraffe
 
 recipe
1 cup non-fat dried milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup bouillon, your choice of flavor (if you have cubes you have to smash them up)
4 Tablespoons freeze dried minced onions 
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme or parsley 
1 teaspoon pepper

For the equivalent of one can of condensed cream soup,
 mix 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup water.
 Cook until thick.


I have most of these ingredients on hand so all I need to do is run to the store for some bouillon and I can make a batch today.  If it works it will be a money saver for sure!  If you have recipes for other dried mixes just let me know...I would love to give them a try.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Alida that is awesome! I will have to try that "Cream of Something"....thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. the thought of me making my own cream of something gets me excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, I just bought the bouillon so I can make it now!

      Delete
  3. the name alone makes me want to try it...thanks for sharing Alida! you've probably done this before but what are some staple dishes in Belize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MrsP- the staples here are rice, beans and chicken!

      Delete
  4. Sounds yummy.. Love and Love. <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be...plan to test it out this week!

      Delete
  5. Let me know how this works out..It may be a good way to cut down on the fat/calories when making cream of broccoli or potato soup. Here's a link to a blog called "self reliance" which has dry mix recipes for taco seasoning, onion soup mix, and ranch: http://selfreliancebyjamie.blogspot.com/2011/08/tis-seasonings.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! And thanks for the link...gotta check it out!

      Delete
  6. Before my daughter left for college I used a similar recipe. She can't have gluten and most cream soups contain gluten! I have not used it in a while though and have lost the recipe so I am glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete