Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

Since we had Spencer with us for the holidays I decided to do a Russian style feast on New Year's Eve. 

 If you ever get a chance to visit Russia over a holiday being there on New Year's would truly be a treat. The celebration there has been called a Super Holiday.   Think Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, the Fourth of July and New Year's Eve all combined.  Typically gifts are exchanged this night, families are all gathered together, children and some adults will dress up in costumes, and the fireworks displays are just unreal!

It was just the three of us so I only made a few things. I started the night before with preparing this Poncho cake.  I will have to reveal how to make it later because I want to test out a few different things before I post the final recipe.  We will make the sacrifice of taste tasting until we get it just right!!  The cream was perfect...I just want to work on the sponge recipe before posting it.

It is basically a vanilla and a chocolate sponge cake cut up and soaked in a sour cream mixture then covered with the same mixture and drizzled with chocolate.

I think it turned out great!
Poncho Cake

and though my camera gave a yellowish tint to the photo you can still see the inside here...

The next morning I got up and made this Vinegret Salad

Crab Salad
This one is very simple:
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of crab meat
1 cup of cooked rice
4 Tbsp of mayonnaise
mix it all together and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.

Olivier Salad
The Olivier is very popular in Russia and each woman has her own recipe for making it.  
I used chicken in mine and added in corn...one of our language school teachers made it that way.
It is also best to prepare a day ahead.
  It really tasted yummy on the second day!


and finally I made Plov (Pilaf)
I used chicken and added raisins...my friend Djamila from Azerbaijan makes it that way.  I didn't have all of the spices listed in the recipe.  Again each woman would make it differently depending on what she is used to and has on hand.  I used mace, marjoram, cardamom, ginger, salt and pepper.  Just a little of each gave it just the right taste that we all remembered from that evening at Djamila's house.

It was a fun night for us...celebrating our second New Year's Eve in Belize,
 eating Russian food, and watching the American celebration on tv!

7 comments:

  1. hmmm am so hungry now looking at these pics. i scream... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like Russians REALLY know how to celebrate New Year's Eve! My Iranian friends have always made "salad Olivier" too, and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun international night! looking forward to the recipe for the Poncho cake - looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the salad ideas...if it's tasty and quick I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I will have to come back and grab some recipes and give them a try. The cake sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to have a meal to remember your time in Russia. They all look delicious.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, that cake looks sooo incredible! i want some now ... i hate when i am begin to crave something so late at night, haha.

    and i don't think i have told you but Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete