Wednesday, January 18, 2012

thought for today...


Knowing what is right is like deep water in the heart; 
a wise person draws from the well within.
Proverbs 20:5
The Message

This week, in the U.S., the birthday of Martin Luther King was celebrated.  There were many quotes of his posted on Facebook and Twitter.  One of them stood out for me above the others...

The time is always right to do what is right.

 The older I get the more empowered I feel.  I remember when I turned forty my Auntie Martha told me that I was now old enough to do what I want to do.  As I get closer to fifty I realize how much more courageous I am becoming.  Meaning that I feel more at ease speaking my mind, having an opinion, and acting on what I believe.

 The verse from Proverbs reminds me that knowing what is right is important.  Quite often I know that right thing deep within my heart. It is usually my head that needs convincing.  Drawing from the well of wisdom in the heart challenges me to do more and to not just think about it.  So, for me, whether that means speaking up about injusticeconfessing the pain in my heart or even talking about my issues with food...I know that this year I will be more inclined to surrender to the call to do the right thing.

And like Dr. King said the time is always right to do it. 
Is there a right thing you need to be doing?  



linking up with:






18 comments:

  1. Yes, to speak and do what is right and true - may that always be my desire. As the years go by, I too feel more empowered. There is a certain confidence that comes with the passing of years and life experiences...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Dorie...life experiences do give us more confidence.

      blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Love it!

    Happy WFW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth!

      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. There are a few thins...thanks for the food for thought Alida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Mrs.P!

      Blessings to you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I really felt this scripture resonate with me today. Thank you, for sharing LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad this resonated with you. Thank you for letting me know. Blessings to you, dear one!

      Delete
  6. Love this! The color makes my heart sing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LeAnn!

      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. Oh Alida!
    I remember the first time I stood up to injustice - some bore was making an inappropriate (racial) joke. Everyone in earshot was clearly uncomfortable but no one said a word. I decided I wouldn't keep quiet. The exhilaration I felt at finally saying what needed to be said made that day the first of a long line of doing the right thing ... the applause from the rest of the bus didn't hurt! :)
    Thank goodness that Dr. King was so very smart and so very prolific to get in all the teaching he did in his too-short life. While we march closer every year, I will continue to pray that his dream becomes our reality.
    Thanks for this wonderful post!
    Many Blessings,
    Felecia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felecia, good for you to take a stand...no wonder they all applauded!

      Delete
  8. Love how the Message phrases this passage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, me too...I am enjoying reading familiar passages in a new light.

      Delete
  9. Yes, I better get back to work! :^) will be back! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quote by Dr. Martin Luther King. I have to remember that.

    Sometimes I need my head convincing too :)

    ReplyDelete