Monday, November 26, 2012

the gift of holiday memories...

This past Thanksgiving was another holiday with just the two of us.  Tom and I do our best to celebrate but we still miss having Nathan and Spencer at home for the holidays.  Nathan is living in Seattle and Spencer is on a mission trip in Mexico.

As I was feeling low late Thursday evening about the guys not being here I got a message on Facebook from a friend who was doing some reminiscing with her children.  They were going through photos and she sent one of our family.

As you can see it is not a Thanksgiving memory but a Halloween night at the church we were attending in Costa Mesa.  I am grateful for the memories we have of those years when the kids were little.  We may not own much materially but we are rich with treasured times spent together.  Even when one or both of the boys were not thrilled about being at the event...we are still able to look back fondly and be glad we survived the tough times and came through with our family still in tact.  

I am grateful that both Spencer and Nathan will be with us for Christmas this year.  It will be our first Christmas together in five years.  Just thinking about it makes me smile.  And I am counting the days!

1061.  old photos
1062.  friends to reminisce with over days gone by...
1063.  looking forward to Nathan and Spencer home at the same time
1064.  planning a Thanksgiving meal for Spencer and Meesha when they return from Mexico
1065.  going over old recipes and the memories attached to them
1066.  gathering with over 60 people for this year's holiday dinner here in Belize
1067.  starting new traditions
1068.  Tom and I eating our Thanksgiving lunch at Wing Stop for the third year in a row
1069.  completing the 30/100 challenge
1070.  surviving my first Zumba class
1071.  walks at sunset with Tom...

What holiday memories are you grateful for?

If you would like to read posts from others in the gratitude community just click on the box below.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post. I can imagine how you feel. My children are still high schoolers, but even so I find myself sometimes reminiscing at the past and feeling low. I can only imagine what it'll be like later. Wonderful to read your gifts list.

    ReplyDelete