Wednesday, October 30, 2013

balancing the ring...


Have you ever tried taking a photo like this?  For some reason I thought it would be easy.  I grabbed my Bible, took off my ring, and was ready to focus my camera.  It took me several tries to get this shot.  As I struggled to figure out how to make the ring stand up long enough to get the photo it reminded me of the importance of balance.

Relationships get out of balance at times.  You know what I mean...one person is doing all the work and the other seems to be checked out.  Or one person is ill and the other acts as caregiver. Or perhaps, it's the stage where kids are little and couple time is scarce.  We also get off kilter as careers are being built or as ministries are being established. It takes two people actively working to make a relationship successful. We've been spending time with couples lately.  From young couples preparing for marriage to mature couples struggling through a life trauma, the need for balance is fundamental.

I think the key to balance in marriage is found in the last part of Ecclesiastes 4:12
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.  

God needs to be the third strand in the cord of our relationships.  Couples need His hand on the scale from time to time to stay in balance.  His intervention and grace can keep a marriage together when all seems lost.  

May we seek out balance in our homes, in our marriages, and in our lives.  May we look for ways to strengthen our bonds and put them into practice.  And may we keep God at the center of all our endeavors. 






6 comments: