Wednesday, March 17, 2010

thought for today

"What am I afraid of?" began Mack.
"Well I am afraid of looking like an idiot. I am afraid that you are making fun of me and that I will sink like a rock. I imagine that--"

"Exactly", Jesus interrupted. "You imagine. Such a powerful ability, the imagination! That power alone makes you so like us. But without wisdom, imagination is a cruel taskmaster."

excerpted from The Shack by Wm Paul Young


I realize that not everyone is happy about some of what is written in The Shack. However, coming from a recovery point of view that teaches 'take what you like and leave the rest' this is one thought that I will take with me:

"Without wisdom, imagination is a cruel taskmaster"

If I dwell too much on the past or on the future I will cause myself pain. If I focus on every 'what if' I can think of I will cause myself pain. I bring pain upon myself when my predetermined view of how life's events unfold fail or people do not react/respond to them the way I imagined they would.

My prayer is for wisdom to balance out my powerful imagination and lead me to the full life that was promised to me in John 10:10.

1 comment: