Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Celebrating American holidays when you live abroad can be tricky. This year the price of turkey is unreal. It would have been cheaper to buy duck. And I remember when I thought duck was a delicacy.

I ended up buying 4 turkey breasts to go with my homemade stuffing. (no Stove Top here)I wish you could have seen the smile on my face when I discovered the celery that I needed for the stuffing at the supermarket! Spencer and I even splurged on two cans of Dr. Pepper (6$)

I found sweet potatoes in the supermarket this summer so I baked and froze them so that we could have them for sweet potato pie today.

Our menu today is simple... turkey with stuffing, peas, corn and butterhorn rolls. For dessert we have a cherry pie and a sweet potato pie.

Our challenges this year have been many, but, our blessings have outweighed them all. We are truly grateful for our life here and the work that we are able to do. We are thankful that we had the opportunity to celebrate last night with our teammates (Russian and American) and happy today is a quiet family time before Tom leaves for Yakutia tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!! Sounds like a delicious menu. My husband is not a fan of sweet potatoes but is willing to try them in a pie. Do you have a secret recipe? :) I've never made a sweet potatoe pie before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a family tradition on my side of the family to have sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie. I like sweet potato best. I can share my recipe if you want it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the joy was the main course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich is crazy for sweet potato pie. If you posted a recipe we would be so grateful!

    ReplyDelete