Friday, November 13, 2009

um... thanks?!

I am still taking Russian lessons. I speak well enough to translate for Tom when he has counseling appointments. However, there is always room for improvement as far as grammar and Russian expressions are concerned. Especially, when constructing sentences... I have a tendency slip into using English structure when speaking Russian quickly without thinking it through.

Today my teacher began working with me on improving my translating skills. She chose a short story and would read a sentence or two and I had to translate them as quickly as possible. I did fairly well. We both knew my what my weaknesses would be. There are a few constructions I tend to avoid using when I speak just because of how tricky they can be for me.

The positive feedback though was this... she was proud, pleased and shocked at how well I did and how long a passage of text I can remember. She was sincerely giving me a compliment when she compared my capacity to remember with hers. She even mentioned our age difference and how most people my age struggle with memory. I am 14 years her senior.

When I got home Tom asked me how my lesson went. My reply? I simply said "She thinks I have a good memory for an old lady."

Or at least that is how I chose to translate it!!

3 comments:

  1. that made me laugh! i love russians and their bluntness :) good job with learning russian! there are still some grammatic thngs i avoid or tend to "mumble" the endings too since i am not confident that i put the right one on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Alida! I may ask my language teacher to try that with me. Which teacher are you working with at New View? Tanya G. is a good friend of ours; she was our nanny for 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Blythe, I am studying privately now with one of the original teachers from the language school. Her name a is Katya and I just love her to pieces!

    ReplyDelete