Dan Allender and Tremper Longman, from their book Intimate Allies
It definitely felt like a battle getting the children to show love and respect to one another when they were young. I am grateful for the relationship that Tom and I have. I am grateful for the relationships that Tom and I have with Nathan and Spencer. Furthermore, Tom and I are grateful that our sons have expressed to us their thanks for the unconditional love that we have worked hard to give them!
Whenever I read the word battle my association is not a 'physical' battle but emotional and spiritual ones. Over the past 26 ½ years of our marriage we have battled with various trials of life… such as the stillbirths of Patricia and Cameron, financial setbacks, the challenge of Tom attending seminary with a young family, our transition to life here in Russia and the ups and downs of day to day living (to name just a few!). I was never a good fighter physically... but then I didn't need to be. I grew up with four brothers and I always felt sorry for those who chose to pick on me, I always had a brother nearby who wouldn't have it!
The only way I am gifted to face each of the relational and situational challenges our family of four is presented with is to stay on my knees in prayer.
I give thanks to God for helping Tom and I to continually grow as a couple, as parents of adult children and as spiritual warriors!
Awesome! I think I might need to tuck that thought away for a rainy day. :) Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete