Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Embrace the boundaries of today...




When our friends Ed and Linda visited us on Valentines Day they showered us with gifts.  One of the gifts that Linda had lovingly picked out for me was the devotional Jesus Calling.  This little book contains a reading for each day of the year.  The style of writing in this book is fascinating. And perhaps in some circles it might even be controversial. It is written as if Jesus Himself is speaking to the reader.  There have been days when this writing style unnerves me. Other days it is exactly what I need to hear Him say.  Today's reading focused on keeping our eyes on Him. 

 Worry takes our focus off of God and puts it on our circumstances.  

I see grave danger in focusing on what might happen tomorrow.  Most of what we think might happen or could happen...never does.  Focusing on the worst case scenarios so we are not disappointed can bring a sense of relief when we get to the other side.  But, what does it do to us in the present?  

For me personally, it deprives me of the joy of trusting in Him.  It drains my energy and fills me with unwanted and unnecessary stress. Due to my fibromyalgia any stress that I create in my own head over what might happen translates itself into physical pain.  Living with chronic pain reminds me each day to live in the reality of 'what is' instead of dwelling in the 'what if' that could be ahead in tomorrow.  


So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own.  
Sufficient for each day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:34 Amplified Bible



I am reminded in scripture that each day has it's own troubles.  I don't need to add tomorrow's trouble onto my plate for today.  My desire is to embrace the boundaries of today, let go of the worries for tomorrow, and live in quiet trust that He holds each day in His hands...so I can let go. 

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou ,needed that today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmmm...
    good advice now if can find a way to implement it that would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete