Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tasty Tuesday...Arepas

 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

Last night we had breakfast for dinner!  We do this from time to time just because it's easy and with just the two of us easy is best.  This recipe comes from The Gluten-Free Bible.  The cost of the flour here in Belize was only about $3.37USD.  I was thrilled to find it in our local store.  I thought I was just buying white cornmeal so you can imagine my surprise when I read through the recipe and then looked at the flours in my pantry and discovered that I had actually purchased this specialty flour.

I will definitely be making these again...Tom and I both thought they were very tasty!


Arepas
1 1.2 cups instant corn flour for arepas (also known as masarepa, masa al instante, or harina precodica)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups of hot water
1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (I used half cheddar and half Monterrey jack)
1 Tbsp butter, melted
Fillings: scrambled or fried eggs, cheese and salsa

1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix flour and salt in medium bowl.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups water.  Dough should be smooth and moist but not sticky.  Add more water by tablespoons if needed.  Add cheese and butter.  Knead until dough is consistency of smooth mashed potatoes.

2. Preheat heavy skillet or griddle over medium heat.  Grease lightly with butter or oil.  Break off a piece of dough about the size of an egg, roll the dough into a ball.  (If dough cracks or seems too dry, return to bowl and add additional water by tablespoonfuls.)  Flatten and pat into 3-4 inch round disc about a 1/2 inch thick.  Immediately place in hot skillet.

3. Cook arepas 3 to 5 minutes per side until browned in spots.  Transfer to baking sheet.  Bake 15 minutes or until arepas sound hollow when tapped.

4.  To make breakfast sandwiches, split arepas b piercing edges with fork as you would English muffins.  Fill with, eggs, cheese, and salsa as desired.  Makes 6-8 arepas.

Note:  Arepas are best served warm; day-old arepas are best toasted.  Arepas may also be frozen for future use. 

----------------

Alida's notes:  It took 1 1/2 cups of hot water plus 2 Tbsp for me to get the right consistency.  It is hard to regulate the temp on our oven so mine actually baked at 400F for 15 minutes until  they were golden and sounded hollow when I took them out of the oven.  I had a little trouble with sticking when they were in the cast iron skillet before going into the oven.  I may try my non-stick skillet next time.  I am looking forward to making these on a regular basis.  They could be used to make egg McMuffin type sandwiches with sausage or ham.  Such a great gluten-free alternative to English Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment