Wednesday, January 08, 2014

honey from the rock...


I've had this verse from Psalm 81 on my mind for a while now.  The thought of getting honey from a rock fascinates me.  After reading more about this I've learned that this a reference to honey hidden in the crevices of rocks by wild bees.  And the only way to find it is by listening to the sound of the bees.  That tidbit of info aids me in understanding the verse.

Let's put it in context:

"If My people would be listen to Me, if Israel would follow My ways, how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes!  Those who hate the LORD would cringe before Him, and their punishment would last forever.  But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.  Psalm 81:13-16

There is a reward for listening to God.  Listening to God brings us in line with His plans.  Being in line with His plans brings out the blessings He has to offer.  I'm not suggesting that we obey only to get something from Him. I'm focused on the treasure of intimacy...the sweetness of relationship...that comes from time spent making Him a priority.  Only He can satisfy the longings, the heart desires, the need for oneness and completion that I have. To me, He is the honey hidden in the rock.  And I am determined to listen for His voice and fall in step with His plans and follow Hard after Him.


3 comments:

  1. I often think this is easier said than done. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the right path and sometimes I feel so lost, like I could be further from Him. Something that seems to come so easily to others (a relationship with Christ) has been such a struggle for me, that I don't even know in which direction to take the first step :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it's easier said than done. I keep reminding myself that even though I may feel like God is so far away from me at times...He really isn't...He is always there. He never changes. Thanks for being so open... I'll email you and we can chat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was praying through the Psalms this morning and searched more about finding honey from the rock. I found your devotional thoughts and completely agree! Oh, what treasures we find when we go seeking His truth! He longs to be our soul satisfaction, and our sole satisfaction! He truly is pure Honey from the Rock!

    ReplyDelete