Wednesday, January 01, 2014

One Word...Hard.


I  haven't made New Year's resolutions in a very long time.  There was a period where my only resolutions were to live, love, and laugh.  Three things that I knew I could do without fail. But, since the end of 2010, myself and several friends have prayed and listened to God's voice for one word to meditate on and learn from throughout the year.  

In  2011 my word was Joy:
After a year of grieving over leaving Russia unexpectedly I felt God promise that we would experience His joy.  We opened up a counseling center with CDF, Tom began teaching at Belize Bible Center, and we found our current church home at Bethel Disciples International Church.  We had Tom's parents come and visit us and late in the year Spencer lived with us before moving on to work at the YWAM base not far from our home. It was a joy-filled year of making friends and planting roots in our new home.   

In 2012 my word was Surrender: 
After receiving confirmation in late 2011 that all of our boxes containing our personal items and mementos were stolen, along with several thousand dollars of money we paid to have them shipped, it was time to learn how to surrender it all. It was a year of drawing closer to Him and realizing how many areas of my life I had yet to give over completely to Him. 

In 2013 my word was Embrace:
There were many highlights and a few lowlights to my year of Embrace. Tom's first group of students graduated from the two year Christian Counseling program at Belize Bible Center. I was one of those graduates. We were thrilled to have time in India with our youngest before his wedding to our new daughter-in-love, Meesha Sharp!  Embracing the fact that both of our children have left home for good to make their own way in the world.  Embracing each lesson, each hurt, each thrill, each adventure as the year progressed.  We even embraced turning 50 with a short trip to Paris before going to India for the wedding! 

For 2014 my word is Hard:
My desire for this year is to be intentional about following Him...to follow Hard.I feel led to love Hard, pray Hard, seek Hard...and so on.  I know that God will have some unexpected lessons and blessings along the way.  And I'm eager to learn what 2014 holds!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I have no doubt that you will succeed. Resolutions often fall by the weigh-side but I have faith that you'll see this one through xx

    ReplyDelete