Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tanya’s Homemade Ranch Dressing

My friend Tanya made this dressing for those of us who were able to attend the PWF retreat in California… I gave it a try and it was a hit!

I made the dressing in the morning and was able to serve it with salad at dinner. Like Tanya said you can experiment with the herbs. I was out of fresh parsley but I had cilantro… and I liked the kick it added! I did go out to the market today and bought parsley so I can make another batch and compare them.


Tanya’s Homemade Ranch Dressing
1 c. mayo
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients and let them sit for awhile (overnight is great, several hours is good), the garlic and herbs will infuse the mayo & milk and make it really good.

Tanya's Notes:
1. Garlic is the KEY to this recipe.

2. Fresh garlic is MUCH stronger than the chopped in a jar, and can be harsh, which is why I usually use the jar garlic -- I can serve it much sooner.

3. If you make this and it's too strong, either with garlic or the herbs,
just add a little more mayo and buttermilk to dilute, and let it set.
The ratio is 2 to 1 for mayo and buttermilk.

4. If this is too weak, just add more garlic or herbs.

5. Experiment with the herbs. I have fresh dill in the garden right now,
and I added it recently, and my family loved it. One recipe I have calls for oregano, another mentions marjoram (!?)

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on some blog reading.

    I love ranch dressing. I think this may be fun to try - lots nicer ingredients than what I read on the bottle!

    Your boys are cute. They remind me of my younger version of yours who are away at camp this week.

    ReplyDelete