Thursday, May 28, 2009

Okroshka- cold Russian Soup



Posted by Picasa

When we picnicked with our friends in the forest we began the meal with this delightful cold soup! As Zoya mixed it up I asked her how to make it. Normally, it is made with Kvass. She used a non alcoholic sweet version of kvass that was very tasty even as a drink. At the stage in the photo she is adding homemade sour cream!

I searched online for recipes and this one is the closest to what she described for me... I have yet to try to make it myself. So if you make it let me know!


OKROSHKA
Serves 6

1 cup meat (you could use ham, bologna or summer sausage)
1 cucumber
2 eggs, hard boiled
3 onions, green
1/2 cup sour cream
3-4 cups apple cider for soup consistency
fresh dill minced, to taste

Dice meat. Peel and dice cucumber and eggs. Slice green onions. Combine first four(4) ingredients. Mix together sour cream, and cider, and beat well. Add beef mixture and chill. Serve sprinkled with dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment