Thursday, May 20, 2010

packing up our paintings

Tom and I love to get at least one piece of art work each time we travel to a new country. We have ended up with a small collection of pieces from Cyprus, Ukraine, Italy, Turkey and Russia. Tom also painted a few things that we want to ship to America. To be able to take all of these items with us we have to photograph each piece, write a description, tell the value and where it was purchased. Then the photos have to be taken to the city historian to verify that they are not Russian artifacts so that they can legally be taken out of the country. Once he certifies them they have to be taken to at least two more offices for approval.

Tom has the photos done and will go to see the city historian next week. Hopefully this process will be uneventful!

3 comments:

  1. Really? How complicated. Well, there is a fare bit of art looting so it makes sense. Did you have to do this before when leaving a country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when my friend, a professional artist, painted a picture for my mother and all she gave me was a handwritten note stating she was the painter and she has given it to me and that it was not a historical russian artifact. I was VERY lucky I actually got it out of the country..it took a lot of begging and pleading with the customs guy at Domodedovo. I am so glad you have all your ducks in a row and hope the process to get your paintings shipped goes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viajera, This is the first time we have had to do this. But we have friends who have done it this year and they told us step by step what to do and what to expect.

    Cora- I can only imagine all the pleading at Domodedovo! We have a shipping company lined up who will take care of it for us once Tom has the paperwork taken care of. We pray it all goes well!!

    ReplyDelete