Thursday, September 30, 2010

the cost of being a foreigner

I walked over to Belize Telemedia Limited to set up phone service so that we could get internet at the house we are renting.  Everything was going great until the girl asked for ID and she found out that I didn't have a Belizean social security number.  She had to check with her supervisor to find out how to complete my transaction. 

It turns out that the cost of being a foreigner is a $250USD deposit.  The supervisor told me that the deposit would be refundable after 24 months of service if a good credit record is maintained.  So $334USD later I was able to walk out of there with a new modem and installation scheduled for Friday.

I guess buying a washing machine will have to wait another month!

8 comments:

  1. same kind of things that happened to us when we moved from Canada to the US. if it wasn't for a very smart Verizon employee, we would have had to plunk down a total of $800 deposit for cellphones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never would have thought about that for America. But it makes sense to me now. So glad they were able to find a way around it for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gir yerself a washboard my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a bunch! So great to keep updated on how you guys are doing. Keep the blog updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele, a washboard!! Wow that would be a step up from what we are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AussieMaz6:58 PM

    I like you priorities. Internet first my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. same thing happened to us moving from Saskatchewan, Canada to Ontario, Canada! We had to pay deposits for every single thing we did- $200 for the phone, $200 for the heat, $200 for the water... and the list went on. It was horrifying! We did get one back on our last water bill and that was sure nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Tara, even in your own country?!

    Maz, I do have priorities and hand washing for the two of us is not that big of a deal :))

    ReplyDelete