Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Be...

 
Over the past twelve days I have been undergoing a root canal.  It's been difficult at times to be joyful or patient throughout this process.  Especially with tomorrow being our 31st wedding anniversary I didn't want to spend our vacation week in a dental office.  But, such is life. 

Reclining in the dentist's chair with my mouth propped open as her drill splashed water in my face all I could do was pray, breathe deeply, and hope that it would end soon.  After filling the tooth she told me that I would have to come back after the first of the year to have the crown put on. As I wallowed in self pity I was reminded of a friend with cancer who may be facing the last Christmas with her family.  She has truly been a model for me of being patient in affliction. 

Thinking of her sure put my 'suffering' through a root canal before the holidays in perspective.  I am going through an inconvenience...and being inconvenienced is not the same as suffering.  I may not be able to munch on peanut brittle this Christmas but I can still rejoice in the hope that comes with celebrating the birth of Christ.  I can be grateful for His sacrifice and remember what He endured for us. And I can look forward to and continue to pray for His return!  

Throughout this holiday season and beyond may we remember to be
 joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.



linking up with:

2 comments:

  1. I have had lots of teeth issues and oral surgeries. I sympathize. I appreciate your perspective.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete