Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Nothing but a Wisp of Fog



This photo was taken yesterday as I watched Tom cross the hammock bridge in Roaring Creek.  I thought of this verse and how it applies to our lives.  Later at home, I looked it up in The Message version of the Bible:
And now I have a word for you who brashly announce, “Today—at the latest, tomorrow—we’re off to such and such a city for the year. We’re going to start a business and make a lot of money.” You don’t know the first thing about tomorrow. You’re nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing. Instead, make it a habit to say, “If the Master wills it and we’re still alive, we’ll do this or that.”
James 4:13-15, The Message
Americans love to plan and ponder what we want to happen next in our careers, our ministries, or our families. However, the reality is, we really don't have a clue about what God has in store for our future. During this advent season we wait with great expectation to celebrate the birth of our King.

But, is He truly that in our lives?  

Is He the King of our time, our finances, our marriages...our plans?

How often have you heard someone say "Lord willing, I'll..."?  I know that I say things like that now and then. But, I don't always mean it.  What I mean is "I am going to do..." or " I am going to go to..."

The other day I wrote a status on Facebook that said "Lord prepare me for what you are preparing me for".  And I mean that.  I don't know what He has in store for us in 2013.  Both Tom and I will turn 50 next year. I don't know about you but I had dreams and goals that I wanted to accomplish before turning 50.  And yet God had other plans for my brief time on earth.

As I ponder this passage I am compelled to remember that He is eternal,
He is my King and He has control over all the days of my life.
And I...I am nothing but a wisp of fog.  




linking up with:

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful and so true. We do spend a lot of time planning and living our lives as God planned it! We are always where he wants to be in that moment. Can't wait to see what it's store for you and Tom in 2013!

    ReplyDelete