Monday, January 25, 2010

Marc Chagall Exhibit




Jeremiah







"Ever since my earliest youth I have been fascinated by the Bible. I have always believed that it is the greatest source of poetry of all time...The Bible is an echo of nature, and this I have endeavoured to transmit.... In art everything is possible, so long as it is based on love
"

Marc Chagall


For Tom's birthday we went to the museum with our friends Brennen, Stephanie, Valera and his granddaughter Eva. We were surprised to discover that the exhibit was a collection of Chagall's lithographs with biblical themes.

My favorite was Naomi and her daughter in laws click here to see a copy. Each lithograph was displayed with a verse from the Bible that inspired the piece.

If this collection comes your way you will not regret going to see it... even if you are not a fan of surrealism this Russian artist will leave an impression on you!

3 comments:

  1. Have you read My Name is Asher Lev? He talks about Chagall in there, along with Christian art from an Orthodox Jewish perspective.... and Russian Orthodox Jewish immigrants.

    All in all, I think you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kacie, Thanks for the book recommendation. I will have to get a copy of it... it sounds exactly like something I would enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete