Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Am I saying what I think I'm saying?

The tongue is such a small part of the body...and yet it can do so much damage.  

Thinking before speaking is something that I have had to learn.  Studying a foreign language was/is the best teacher I've had in this regard.  When attempting to communicate in Russian I couldn't just blurt out whatever I was thinking. I had to think of HOW to say it first.  I would agonize in my head over the simplest of statements at the beginning of Russian language acquisition.  The question 'Am I saying what I think I'm saying?' constantly floated through my mind.  

Even in your native tongue it's important to think before you speak...or before you press send on that email or private message on Facebook.  As we move further into this new year honoring the importance of communication is on my mind.  Words can often be misinterpreted and feelings can get hurt in the process.  Especially in this digital age where so much of our communication is electronic.  Without the accompanying body language or being able to hear the tone of voice we are often left wondering if the other party truly 'got' what we were trying to say.

My prayer is that I will consistently think before I speak or write...
and that I will be effective in saying what I think I'm saying!





3 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts, Alida! I am one who has had to wrestle with her tongue my whole life. Your words give me hope. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully striking image Alida and very wise words you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great reminder. I have to wrestle with this too. Also great to remember to think before hitting the button to send an e-mail or post on facebook. So easy to do without thinking...

    ReplyDelete