Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday morning...and 1000 gifts

It is a dreary rainy Monday morning here in Belize.  But, even so we have much to be grateful today.  



On Wednesday:
The memory card on my camera is faulty so I had to use Tom's cell phone to take these pictures.  He is seated next to Rev Canon Flowers, the head of the Council of Churches, and to the far left is Rev Crawford, the head of the Evangelical Association.  They were speaking at another Family Focus Forum this one was held in Belize City at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church.  

On Friday:
We enjoyed a Thanksgiving dinner with about 80 people...not all are pictured.  Some are missionaries, some are locals, some are Americans who have retired here in Belize and a few who work at the American Embassy.  It was an evening of great food, great fellowship and great fun!


On Sunday:
We attended a Harvest celebration at Bethel Disciples Church.  It is a multi-ethnic church and I think every ethnic group found here in Belize was represented.  For those Chinese speakers in the audience there was translation provided.  I kept trying to understand the translation and had to remind myself several times that she was speaking Chinese and not Russian!

as I reflect this morning on all that last week held I am grateful for:
415.  health
416.  meeting new people
417.  visiting a new church
418.  trying new foods....there were a few dishes at both celebrations that were new to me!
419.  traditional Thanksgiving food.  Both Tom and I were grateful for dishes that reminded us of our childhood Thanksgivings.  A taste of home away from home.
420.  the opportunity to be involved in the community and the people we have worked with along the way.
421.  those who support us in prayer and with finances...we could not do anything without them!
422.  the pain and joys that the past year here in Belize have brought us.
423.  the counseling clients who trust us.
424.  the people who refer us to those in need.
425.  our dvd player that allows us to watch Christmas movies.
426.  experiencing a slice of heaven with seeing so many different people groups worshiping together.
427.  Chinese print on worship slides along with the English words
428.  children of all shapes, sizes, and colors running around playing together before and after the service.
429.  noticing that siblings treat each other the same no matter what ethnic group they belong to!


Each  moment, each breath, each daily event, be it large or small, 
 yields precious gifts for which we can give thanks.  
May we remember thanksgiving as an action...
and not just as a noun.


joy & blessings,
Alida

joining Ann Voskamp and the gratitude community:

8 comments:

  1. I think I realised the sense of Thanksgiving this year with so many great posts around the world. Glad to see you had a nice time and always find things to be thankful for - more we give thanks, more we see the list of our blessings is infinite.
    Take care. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me to get back to my list! I have neglected it for a few weeks. Too busy being thankful, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What such great moments! It's always, always good to live a life of gratitude. I try to remind myself of that everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying your counting of your gifts.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome as usual..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying counting your gifts as well. :) look forward to this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love reading your gift counting. it is nice to see that you are full of thanksgiving every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like have have missed your posts the last few weeks and am so glad to find you again :)

    I enjoy your view of life so much. I really love #426. When many tribes and tongues come together to worship the Lord IS a small taste of heaven.

    ReplyDelete