Thursday, April 07, 2011

new day... new office


Today we are in the office at the Child Development Foundation.  We will be here two days a week from 10-4 providing counseling services.  Since the bulk of clients will be women and children I will be sitting in on the sessions.

We did this in Russia too.  It began when a woman asked to see Tom for therapy.  At the time I was not yet comfortable translating so we hired someone... a man.  She did not want to be in a room alone with two men so she asked me to sit in.  I was her security blanket.  Over the course of time I was able to serve as Tom's translator but my true role didn't change.  Oftentimes tearful women would reach for my hand and we would sit on the couch together facing Tom.

So here we are again.  I am by Tom's side to provide a measure of comfort and safety to those women and girls who may not feel at ease pouring their heart out to man.  Tom called me a paraclete.  A helper.  I marvel at the process.  Tom is able to see and hear into things that are said or unsaid and through time healing comes.

Would you pray for us in this new endeavor?

Pray for families who are in pain.
Pray for the women and children who feel no hope.
Pray for those still trapped in sexual slavery.
Pray for the exploited as well as the exploiter.
Pray for justice.
Pray for healing.

just pray.




15 comments:

  1. Tom has a wonderful helpmeet and the wonderful people y'all help also benefit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that you get to stand by Tom and work together as a team to minister to these precious people. What a blessing I know you are to those women, and this is a very wise way for your hubby to conduct his ministry! I believe counseling is such a gift. It requires a very special person to help people sort through their baggage! May the Lord bless you in all your ministry endeavors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great opportunity to help the people of Belize. I will remember you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying. Such a wonderful mission! All the best!
    And thanks for stopping by my blog via UBP11.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely sweet thing, Alida, to picture you on the couch comforting and praying, while watching God use your husbands gifts. Sounds like you two are a great pair.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    PS. Just prayed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers going up right now! May the love of Christ flow through you to these souls in such need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! You guys are doing amazing things helping women and children and being there for them in their time of need. Thanks for being amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be angels sent from Heaven.
    Praying.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying! Yes! prayers changes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Tom calls you are paraclete, a helper. Being a helper is so important in Christian work. I am a new follower and look forward to reading more. I will be praying for you both,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I will joyfully pray for you! What a wonderful ministry for the Lord! I was taken by your beautiful example of being a help-mate to your husband... just as God designed! May your endeavors be blessed and my your blessings be in sweet abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally getting a chance to read through some of your blog. What an amazing ministry you are a part of. I am so sad for all the trafficking that goes on, but don't know what I can do in my home with my two boys. I don't get out much!
    Prayers for you.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog, it has given me so much insight into Belize. I did not know they had such a problem. I will keep you in my prayer.

    When you have time read Psalm 126.

    Your are Toms helper on so many levels. Its a blessing that you can provide comfort. That alone is such a spiritual gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all so much for your support and for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first time visiting. Your blog is peaceful and inviting. I look forward to reading more. Be encouraged in the God of our salvation!

    Http://SABRINAdianne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete