Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tasty Tuesday



This is not an official Russian salad... I call it my "tastes like Russia" salad.  There are as many salads in Russia as there are creative cooks.  Oh, there are some standard not to be missed salads like the Olivier, which every Russian woman knows how to make.  But, there are also new ones cropping up in the deli sections of the European supermarkets.  We used to go into Tabris just to see what new combinations they had come up with. 

I decided to use red cabbage, apples, tomatoes, feta cheese and cashews.  And of course a huge dollop of mayo for the dressing.  I almost ate the whole bowl by myself.  It really did taste like Russia to me!



11 comments:

  1. I love the cultural stuff, of course. Would never have guessed the Russians were big on salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! Might have to try to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Mollie. I never thought Russia/salad before but i am loving this combination! I bet it only gets better after sitting in the fridge for a bit too. My mouth is watering ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks so yummy! I love salads made with mayo. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it wonderful, Alida, to have the flavors of where you used to live and minister. What will the flavors of Belize be? (not sure I spelled that right.)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! That looks divine ... I most definitely will try this out! Thanks for sharing.

    -Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, friend... now that salad is calling my name. I love, love salads. all kinds and colors, so you could be my go-to girl when my veggies start to grow. Interesting detail too. Who knew salads were such a staple there?

    thanks for chiming in on my childhood memories. it's fun to be able to use old photos like that instead of letting them sit in a box somewhere. but I'm having so much trouble with 'blogger' spacing, my posts are taking way to long to write.. i'm starting not to enjoy it so much. blogger claims that there is no fix yet. grrrrrrrrrrr how can that be? are you having similar issues? Seeya, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks yummy--and healthy, Alida! ;) I want to try this! But I think there`s no purple cabbage here in the Philippines. I`ll try to think of something to replace the cabbage though.

    Btw, thank you for your kind comment on my blog a few months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! This looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh....that looks wonderful Alida!

    ReplyDelete