Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

This is my friend Stephanie's recipe for Cinnamon rolls...they are absolutely divine.  And each time I make them it reminds me of her and of being in her kitchen.  Warm. Comfortable.  And filled with love.


Steph's Cinnamon Rolls
1.5 C warm milk
1/2 C sugar                                          
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/2 C mashed potatoes, unseasoned
1 egg
2 tsp. salt
2 envelopes yeast
5.5 C flour

1/2 C butter, softened
1.5 C brown sugar
2 tbsp. cinnamon

Mix first 7 ingredients. Add flour. Knead for 10 minutes. Grease bowl and transfer dough. Grease top of dough, cover and let rise until double. Approximately 1 hour.
Punch down and roll out. Spread dough with softened butter. Mix sugar and cinnamon and spread over butter. Tightly roll dough. Cut into rolls and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned at 350.

Steph's note:

I glaze the rolls while hot with 1.5 C powdered sugar, 2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp. almond extract and enough water or milk to form a glaze consistency.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I have had a major craving for donuts lately.  But there are no Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donut  shops anywhere to be found here in the jungle.  So, I decided to put Steph's recipe to a different use.  I made them into doughnuts!





and donut holes.


I followed her directions until the point where you roll them out.  I rolled them out thin because they will rise as you fry them.  Using the rim of a glass I cut out the shape and the lid of a water bottle worked great to cut the center hole.  I fried them in about a 3/4 of an inch or so of oil until golden brown on each side.  While they were still warm I dusted them with powdered sugar.  


They really hit the spot with a hot cup of raspberry flavored green tea with french vanilla creamer.


Tom said they reminded him of donuts his mom used to make.  He remembers that every year around Halloween she would make donuts and apple cider.  


If you give the cinnamon rolls or the donuts a try and let me know how they turn out!!




11 comments:

  1. I love Cinnamon Rolls! I can't wait until Adam and I get settled with our own place. I love to bake but I haven't been able to in so long. Of course, I don't think eating baked goods will do me any favors. I think I can just look at cake and gain weight! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm thinkin' this may need to be your side hussle in Belize! These look yummy. My cousin makes something similar but uses canned biscuits instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum those look so good. Breakfast with cinnamon is always a winner with me though lol. Don't you just love a recipe that really reminds you of someone? I have a number of them in my arsenal that remind me of my grandma.. being in the kitchen can be very comforting, esp when you are far away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! this post made my mouth water! wish I had one of those now. I am going to have to give these a try. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so yummy looking. By the way, thanks for leaving such a kind words on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen a recipe for cinnamon rolls with mashed potatoes in the dough before... Sounds interesting!

    Thank you once again for sharing these recipes with us!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Miss 'Lida! I think the Sharps and my cinnamon rolls will forever be intertwined! I can't make them without thinking of you, too!
    We miss you guys so much. Thanks for the wonderfully nostalgic post!
    I will definitely have to try the donuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should NOT be looking at this when I'm hungry! I think I'll try this recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these look great. I will have to try these one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soooo good!! I wish they were right in front of me right now! I might give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete