Wednesday, June 06, 2012

thought for today...word power


Are we speaking words that kill or words that give life?  

There are times when the wrong thing comes flying out of my mouth and I have no idea why I said that.  Or times when I question "did I just say that out loud?"  My choice is that my words would give life.  My prayer is that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart would be acceptable in His sight.  

If I have to choose between spewing poisonous life killing words
or
 the ripe fruit of sweet words wisely spoken...I choose the fruit.  

Not all of our choices are so cut and dried when we are in the middle of a chat.  Sometimes an ill worded joke or a gruff tone of voice can be conversation killers.  Even a scripture quoted to bring comfort or give instruction can be misconstrued if the timing is off.  So I need to choose wisely.  

May God guard my tongue...and prompt me to speak affirming life-giving words in His time.



linking up with:









16 comments:

  1. I love this post Alida. Words have power but only when we think about it we can choose which words to say and which ones are not good for us and others.
    Words of love and words that share joy and celebrate the Glory of God, these words can change everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I am conscious of what I speak out of my mouth. We eat the fruit of our lips.

    Happy WFW!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put and a lesson that seems to be flowing more and more freely from the Holy Spirit.
    May we all heed these words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that post! The verse you quoted from Psalm 19:14 has been a prayer of mine for a long time, but I still have trouble practicing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. an excellent word for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOOOO true! Thanks for an excellent reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great WFW ~ Lord, help us to speak words that edify others. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. A reminder I need as well! How easily words "just slip" on out and, by then, it is TOO LATE! Thank you for visiting "Being Woven" today so I could find you. May your day be blessed with God's Word and His Love.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post. I'm working on guarding my tongue, I only want to speak life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I find many times it's just best if I listen and shut my mouth. Amen!

    http://theemptynestexpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good question to ask--"Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence?" Or, as Thumper said, "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is very true for each and everyone of us. That is my prayer too coz sometimes words just comes out of my mouth and the damage was done. Anyway, Thanks God for reminding us:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't been here for a month, just saw the changes now, I like the new design of your blog, and the WWFW picture is so wonderful, thank you for the message it reminds me to keep watch of my words always. I followed you on twitter.

    Blessings!
    Jhunnelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed a struggle of mine! O'Truth Guard My FreeFlow mouth...my heart's intent is never to hurt or offend but sometimes, the thoughts come out all mixed up with wrong words....I pray as you ....let my words be few and of life...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post rang so true with me. Proverbs 17:1 is a wonderful scripture - "Better is a dry morsel with quiet than a house full of feasting with strife."

    Hugs!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete