Friday, January 30, 2009

Do you embrace your new appliances?

My neighbor asked me if I hug my new appliances the other day. He was on the landing because he had to move the large box that his new refrigerator came in so I could open my apartment door.

At first I thought he was asking me if I literally hug my new appliances so I answered "no!" He smiled and said "O, you just accept them?! Well tonight we will be embracing and toasting our new refrigerator!" And then he went back to work in his kitchen. In his mind the new refrigerator was worthy of a celebration and he was going to drink to his new appliance as his way of greeting it into his home.

I came inside and Tom and I decided that we should give them a gift. So I found a brand new magnet with a Russian scene painted on the front, wrapped it up very prettily in a gift bag and took it over. This was the first time I had been in their apartment in the 3 1/2 years we have lived here.

It was frightening to knock on their front door and hand her a gift. We had only been on a 'greet one another on the landing and make a comment about the weather' basis up until that point. Now we finally know each others first names!

Zoya and Misha are both retired and they are doing their remodeling all by themselves. Misha has a great sense of humor... he told me that in English his name is Michael. His wife, Zoya, was sweet and somewhat shy. She told me she was "accepting my gift with discomfort and thankfulness".

I think she was just as nervous as I was over my being in their home. We are still learning what is culturally appropriate and what is not. At least Tom and I felt like we made the right decision about me going over alone instead of both of us foreigners barging into their home!


2 comments:

  1. good for you to be courageous. Still do not get what your saying about the refer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donetta, I rewrote the first two paragraphs and hopefully that made it more clear!!

    ReplyDelete