Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sweet Potato Cheese Cake Bars



My husband is not much of a cheesecake fan so I came up with this recipe in the hopes of making one that he would enjoy.  Most of the recipes I found during my search have 24 oz. of cream cheese. What Tom doesn't like is the richness of all of the cheese.  It just doesn't agree with him.   Most likely due to the fact that both of us have had our gallbladders removed and therefore neither one of us can process fats very well. 

These bars were perfect for our Thanksgiving treat after the spicy mango wings we enjoyed.  If you decide to give them a try let me know how it turns out for you.  We sure loved these bars... they only lasted for two days!!

Cheesecake Bars for Tom
Filling
1 15 oz can of sweet potatoes/yams, well drained and mashed
1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Cream yams, cream cheese and sugar together until sugar is dissolved.    Add eggs, milk, cornstarch and spices mix until combined.

Crust
1 cup almond flour
3 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 Tbsp sugar
Mix together until blended well.

Place in bottom of 10x 10 square inch pan.
Pour filling on top of crust and bake for 35-40 min at 350 degrees. 

I am sure that it would work just as well to use a graham cracker crust instead of the crust that I made.  But the almond flour sure was a tasty part of the dessert!!

7 comments:

  1. ummmmmm...helllo...yummy de-O-lishousness...this is thrilling because i love cheesecake but sometimes the reg gets boring:) Love this! I will def. try since i'm all into baking now:) thanks!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! It really was yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new and interesting recipes like this! I am not a fan of cheesecake by itself, but my mom makes a pumpkin cheesecake that I love. This sounds like it would be right up my alley!

    Thanks for the visit and the comment, btw. I'm adding you to my reader. Make sure you check out my giveaway this week! http://fulfillinglifejourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by... I will check out your giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness i love cheesecake! thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete