Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What's cookin?





I purchased a round metal plate to make tortillas on and just had to try it out. These plates are sold here in Belize in various sizes.  Mine is a 12 inch.


Alida's Tortillas
2 cups flour 
3 tsbp. shortening or lard
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm milk (approximately)

Stir the salt into flour, add the fat and work in with the fingers as for making biscuits. Stir in just enough milk to make a dough that can be formed into balls. Knead well on a floured surface. Shape the dough into 8 balls the size of an egg. Roll out very thin on floured surface until the size of a plate or larger if you prefer. Fry on an ungreased griddle or skillet.

As you can see my tortillas still are not round so I obviously need more practice.  Which I am willing to do of course.  I used our fresh tortillas to make quesadillas... we both had very happy tummies and I am lovin' my new toy!  

16 comments:

  1. wow...this is amazing, i'll have to try cooking like this:) thanks! and if the button wasn't working, sorry...i fixed! thanks happy tasty tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you back! Love your blog by the way...very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really inspiring me! I even have one of those pans.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the button Vic! I just couldn't make it work earlier.

    KLove, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make my own tortillas. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crick, I think you can do it!!

    Amy Lou, so glad that you came by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love homemade tortillas

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks yummy! I will have to give them a try. I am enjoying your posts. Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh...i want to try that...maybe after the wedding..with thanksgiving coming...ill have all the carbs i need for a year! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Pancake, I wouldn't want to be responsible for you not fitting into your dress!!

    Tanya, Thanks for stopping by!

    Regina & David, I loved your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! I want to try your recipe! I'm making lefse today for Thanksgiving--it's like a tortilla made from potatoes.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm happily returning the follow--your blog looks so fun!

    ~Carla

    www.jollyjansen.blogspot.com
    http://HoustonParentsMagazine.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carla, I just googled lefse to see what it is... now I wanna give that a try too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks pretty for a a first try Alida. I am sure they taste great..I am sure I will be purchasing one of those pans when i get to Belize.

    Debra
    http://www.takingbelize.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debra, I have seen them in several different stores here. I really love mine. I used it for pancakes the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what type of flour did you use? you can only buy all purpose flour here, will that work?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Regina, All purpose flour works great!!

    ReplyDelete