Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Last Friday I got the chance to go over to Marion's house of KenMar's Bed and Breakfast and learn to make Fry Jack.  It was such a privilege to spend time with her in the kitchen.  Marion graciously gave me her recipe and oh my goodness are they tasty!

We even had a chance to pray together as we waited for the Fry Jack to rise before frying them.  Her sweet spirit permeates her home and the Bed and Breakfast.  If you are in Belmopan look them up... you won't be disappointed!

I gave them a try on my own the following day.  
As they fry they should puff up...turn over when golden brown.

I am ready to make another batch!
Posted by Picasa

Marion's Fry Jack

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp Crisco
2/3 cup water

Using hands blend the first four ingredients together.  Make a well in the bottom of the flour mixture and add water.  Knead the dough together until the consistency of bread dough.  Roll out and use knife to cut into desired shapes. Cover and allow to rise for 15 minutes before frying.  Then deep fry in hot oil.  You can sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar or honey.  Or you can stuff with refried beans or egg.







14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh those looks SOOOOO good! Stuff them with prunes or raisins and call them a Puczki for Fat Tuesday today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look just ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They also kind of remind me of sopapillas (sp) from the Casa Bonita Restaurant (Denver and Tulsa). You put butter and honey in them. I imagine any fried bread would be like that.

    You could also put a savory stuffing in them and they could almost be pupusas (that Ecuadorean stuffed "thing")

    Very versatile, these are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm...YUMMM!! These look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I have not heard of Puczki... gotta look that up!

    Tanya, I ate mine with chicken and salsa inside... savory does work nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm...Those look really good for a first try Alida. I will have to try to make those..but I try not to eat too many fried foods...They look like the beignet's in the New Orleans French Quarter with lots of powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh those look so yummy and the ingredients are simple and something I already have in my house. I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look delicious! My cousin and her husband looove Belize! The pics I've seen are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound and look wonderful! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMY... they look delicious! Reminds me of Mexican sopapillas... my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummm!! These could be dangerously addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my those look yummm. nothing like fried dough.ahhh, cant wait to try these outtt. Love your blog hun

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! This looks delicious! Thank you for your lovely comment on my Chocolate Ganache Tart - gorgeous-gourmet.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look great. I've made something similar, but we call them sopapillas. Great with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete